Friday, August 28, 2009

community and Christ

"Christianity means community through Jesus Christ and in Jesus Christ....We belong to one another only through and in Jesus Christ.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together


My husband is taking a course called "Classics of Christian Literature". Naturally, the first thing I did was nose through the books he picked up for the class. I've started reading through Bonhoeffer's Life Together; really, I could probably quote the entire book. I loved The Cost of Discipleship, and it seems this one is just as challenging.

Though he's writing about the Christian brotherhood/community in particular, the idea of approaching others in and through Christ can really be applied to any other Christian we relate to. Which makes me think about how I interact with my husband. Do I approach him through the grace and mercy of Christ? Or do I handle our relationship through my own limited human means? I know more often than not, it's the latter.

So how do I approach everyone, not just the church or even fellow believers, in and through Christ? How will it change how I act and react to others?

No comments: