Sunday, October 4, 2009

praise or doctrine

My husband and I are notorious church-hoppers. Since moving to the area almost a year and half ago, we still don't have a church home. Today we once again checked out a new church. The hubby and I are more reformed in our theology (one of his friends has jokingly called my husband a "conservative hippie Calvinist"), so we've been checking out some of the local Presbyterian congregations, though we both belong to a Baptist church in our old hometown. We agree with most of the PCA's doctrinal statements, and I've loved the sermons at both of the Presbyterian churches that we recently visited (very deep and "meaty"). However, the worship style has been very solemn. I told my husband after church this morning that during worship, I felt like I was at a funeral. The songs were slow, mournful and accompanied by nothing but a piano. Yet, the churches that we've visiting that have more enthusiastic worship have also had a more light and fluffy style of preaching - feel-good, but no substance.

Why can't we get both? I want rockin' worship, the kind you can tap your foot to and even (gasp!) raise your hands to. But I also want a meatier sermon...something that I can mull over, ponder and chew on for the rest of the day, not just a superficial message about what a nice, loving God we have.

To make up for the worship this morning, I came home and put on the modern gospel station while I crocheted. I guess for now, that will have to do.

No comments: