Wednesday, April 14, 2010

remember to check your gauge


Crochet patterns usually come with instructions on how to make a gauge swatch: a small sample of fabric that you can check your work against to make sure the pattern will turn out right. Typically, I ignore the gauge swatches. I haven't made a good many clothes and most of the blankets have been for babies, so I've always decided the gauge wasn't that important. But I'm trying a new pattern now, one for a vest, and I want to do my best. So last night I sat down to make my first gauge swatch. I figured I would stitch it up as directed, get it right on the first go, and move on.

I was wrong.

I stitched the swatch twice with the recommended hook. Both times the gauge was off. Then I hit a dilemma. Instructions usually advise a hook size, but then add "or size to obtain gauge". It looked like I was going to have to go up a hook size.

I'm not going to super-spiritualize what is really just a trivial moment. But I did have to battle my own stubbornness to pick up the larger hook size. And yes, the third swatch matched the dimensions that the pattern said it should. It makes me wonder how teachable I am on larger, more spiritual matters, if I resist following the instructions on simple crochet pattern.

No comments: