Friday, January 1, 2010

purpose

I've had this blog for over a year, so I suppose it's a little late for me to be posting a purpose statement, but it's a new year and I've resolved to be more dedicated with this blog. So here it is:

My purpose is to be real.

As Christians, we so often try to put on a "poker face" for the world. We arm ourselves with obligatory Christian paraphernalia (Bible carry-cases, bumper stickers, TestaMints to hand out to our non-believing friends) and we play the part of "good Christian" (insert your presupposition for how a Christian ought to behave here). When we fail to live up to our own standard that we've so sanctimoniously imposed on others, we spout cliches such as "I'm not perfect, just forgiven." We vainly to try to hide our flaws from non-Christians, from fellow believers, and even from ourselves.

This blog is my attempt at honesty. I want to share not only my love for God, but my struggles with my faith. I hope non-Christians will get a genuine look at Christ, not just a Jesus hidden behind cliches and self-righteousness. To fellow Christians, I hope you see a sister - someone who sometimes needs encouragement, sometimes a kick in the butt, and always prayer.

Ultimately, though, I seek to glorify God. In the words of Oswald Chambers: "I am determined to be absolutely and entirely for Him and for Him alone." (from My Utmost for His Highest)

No comments: